Sunday, October 26, 2008

Unlikely...but not impossible

Ava's birthday bash is today. We are ordering pizza and salads, but I decided to make the birthday cakes myself. I baked three* cakes and made 24 cups of icing on Friday. And Saturday morning, I went to Weight Watchers and weighed in. I lost 3.2 pounds last week. I'm pretty impressed with that...given that I have a tendency, to, uh, test the icing to be sure it is fit for human consumption....

Another icing story...my father-in-law swore up and down that I'd made way too much icing. Ha! I almost ran out. I used almost every smithereen of it. (What wasn't eaten by me or the family, that is. I gotta say...baking and cake decorating are very stupid hobbies for a Weight Watcher. At my request, Tom dropped me off at my Weight Watchers meeting yesterday in my running gear, and I ran home after the meeting. Talk about an incentive to exercise....)

Oma and Opa have been in town all weekend for the bash, and were a HUGE help watching the girls while I played with icing in the kitchen. They weren't really given a choice...but somehow, I don't think they minded. :-)


Pictures of Ava's cakes and the birthday bash will probably show up here tomorrow. My little Pumpkin Pie, my little Smooshy-Wooshy, my sweet little Funny Bunny is almost 1 year old! I can't believe it.

* I actually baked four cakes...but promptly dropped one of the perfectly-baked layers in the oven as I took it out. The cake pan flipped upside down INSIDE the oven. The fluidity and ingenuity of the cursing that followed was actually quite impressive. I would've written some of the more inventive phrases down, had I not been busy shoveling loads of freshly-baked cake hunks out of the hot oven onto the floor and inside the storage drawer under the oven. Props to Grammie for helping me clean that mess up. I had to bake another cake. We now have one odd, lonely cake layer hanging around, with no home or intention. Any takers?

2 comments:

Shirla said...

No way is Ava almost 1 year old! Seems just like yesterday she was born! I cant wait to see pics of the cake. Sorry about the mishap with the other cake, I bet that was a mess to clean up!
Congrats on the weight loss! :)

Cortney said...

Way to go on the weight loss! No way could I do that while making cakes.