Sunday, July 5, 2009

I've Fallen but I Gotta Get Up

I've learned that one of the hardest things about parenthood is that Mom (or Dad) can be sick, hurt, unhappy, overwhelmed, or sad...and life just keeps moving on. It's tough to face, but no matter how badly you want to sit and wallow in vats of full-fat ice cream and an ocean's worth of your own self-pity, you can't. You just can't. Well, you can, but you'll run out of clean clothes and fresh produce, and your kids will kill each other (either inadvertently, because they don't realize that pretending the oven door is an alligator's mouth isn't such a good idea; or deliberately, because one of them actually deigned to look at the other's favorite doll for a fraction of a millisecond.)

I don't want to be one of those people who only posts on their blog about how wonderful they are and all the delightful things they do. Sometimes, and probably more often than I want to admit, things around here are very tough. And it's very, very hard to pull myself up by the bootstraps and just get on with it.

I have been hearing from friends whose kids are older than mine (and who have more kids than I do) that this is just a very tough time with very small children, who are very close together in age. That this is a phase in MY life where I shouldn't be hard on myself if I don't get much done. And that what I am feeling and doing (or not doing, as the case may be) is totally normal, whether there is an additional external crisis or not.

And yet...it is really tough sometimes to just get on with it. You may feel like you have completely lost the essence of who you are, and you don't have a friend in the world. But you just gotta suck it up and deal with it. There are minds to fill, and mouths to feed.

1 comment:

Cortney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.