Saturday, June 27, 2009

More Liesl-isms

I got such a great response to my first post about Liesl's utterances. Based on that, I decided to keep adding to my file of things she's said that need to be remembered.

Please note I am NOT exaggerating any of these.

This is just a reminder to me--and anybody else--that your kids pick up everything, even if you think they're not listening. Read on:

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

When Liesl dropped plastic Easter eggs all over the floor, Ava was naturally curious and wanted to investigate. Liesl didn’t want Ava into the eggs on the floor, so she asked me in an exasperated tone: “Mommy, would you handle Ava, please?”

♥ ♥ ♥

In the bathtub—Liesl takes up a washcloth and starts scrubbing her behind:
Mommy: “What are you doing?”
Liesl: “I’m washing my butt.”

♥ ♥ ♥

At the breakfast table. Liesl suddenly lifts her right foot up into her lap, hugs it, and tells it, tenderly, “I love you, foot.” *smooch*
(Yes, she kissed her own foot.)

♥ ♥ ♥

As the girls were eating lunch, and I was preparing mine—which I usually eat after the girls are down for naps, so I can savor the peace and quiet—Liesl asked me:
Liesl: “What are you making, Mommy?”
Mommy: “Cucumber tea sandwiches for my lunch.”
Liesl: “I don’t like cucumber tea sandwiches.”
Mommy: “You’ve never actually had cucumber tea sandwiches.”
Liesl: “Well, I’m a kid, so I have had cucumber tea sandwiches, and I don’t like them.”

(Note from her mother--she's really never had them. That will change soon.)

♥ ♥ ♥

On our way home from Thursday morning Bible study:
Mommy: “We’re going to stop and buy some fruit.”
Liesl: “Oh, good. I like fruit. It makes me poop.”

♥ ♥ ♥

While I was playing with the girls on their new play structure:
Mommy: “I’m going to go down the slide.”
Liesl: “But I thought your butt was too big.”

(Contrary to what these conversations may infer, we really don’t encourage the use of the word “butt” in our house.)

♥ ♥ ♥

When I was rushing the children out the door to an early morning doctor’s appointment, for which I was going to be late:
Mommy, slightly crabby: “Let’s go, girls, hurry up!”
Liesl, excitedly: “Is it time to rock ‘n roll, Mommy?!?”

♥ ♥ ♥

When leaving in the morning for one of my theater rehearsals:
Liesl: “But Mommy, we didn’t practice violin!”
Mommy: “We can’t do it this morning, Liesl, because Mommy has to work. We’ll practice violin tonight.”
Liesl (with thunderous disapproval): “Well, Miss Sharon will not be happy to hear this.”

♥ ♥ ♥

After using the potty in the morning, Liesl pulled her pajama pants up over her bare bottom:
Mommy: “Liesl, don’t you want to put some undies on first?”
Liesl: “Nope. I’m goin’ commando.”

♥ ♥ ♥

Going for a walk in our neighborhood, and passing by the home of friends of ours, who have a little boy Liesl’s age and who is one of her best friends:
Liesl, excitedly: “Are we going to Ethan’s house?”
Mommy: (Seeing no cars in their driveway) “I don’t think Ethan’s home.”
Liesl, deflated: “Oh. Bummer.”

♥ ♥ ♥

When Tom was taking my wilted Mother’s Day bouquet out to the compost bin:
Liesl: “What are you doing with Mommy’s flowers?”
Tom: “I’m composting them, they’re past their prime.”
Liesl (somewhat sadly): “But…summer is still pretty!”

♥ ♥ ♥

While I was sorting and folding clean laundry:
Liesl: “Mommy, you really need a new bra.”

♥ ♥ ♥

While we 3 girls were driving somewhere, and somebody cut me off:
Mommy (kind of sarcastic): “Nice turn signal, you bun-brain.”
Liesl (also sarcastic): “Yeah. Dude. They’re standard in every car.”

No comments: