Monday, May 11, 2009

Sometimes...it just clicks

I had one of those perfect job assignments tonight. Fantastic clients, delightful team interpreter, and a fun topic, to boot. It was one of those situations that makes you realize you're in the right place, doing the right thing. I am committed to being a full-time mom, and being home with my children is (usually) wonderful, but I do love these opportunities to get out and stretch out my interpreting muscles. (The paycheck is kind of nice, too!) If only all jobs could be this perfect...and yet, if they were, I don't think I'd appreciate the field I'm in as much as I do now. And the people I get to meet, the lives I get to take part in...it's simply amazing. Often, we interpreters find ourselves in frustrating situations, brought on by hearing clients who don't want us around, indifferent or incompetent team interpreters, and topics that are intense, complex, and sometimes unpleasant. And yet, that IS the job. But occasionally, an assignment like the one I had tonight comes along, and everything falls into place. There's no greater feeling to an interpreter than when everything comes together and the job just "clicks."

No comments: