Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Signs of Change

This is amazing...I've done just a little bit of reading about the program, it is really cool!

Sign Smith Signing Avatars

Naturally I'd love to purchase the software, it looks like a fun way to add comments to my blog. However, with it's $3,000 price tag, I think it's going to be a while before I'm ready to make my blog THAT cool. :-)

The introduction in the blog banner is indeed being signed in grammatically correct American Sign Language (ASL) by the avatar. What's really amazing is that the avatar shows complex facial expressions that are also grammatically correct. That is so important--what most hearing people don't realize is that facial expression in ASL has a huge impact on the meaning and tone of what you are signing.

I am so impressed. Technology is amazing! This product has the ability to help deaf and hard of hearing children learn independently, something that is hard for them to do in this media-saturated culture of ours. Wow. Simply amazing.

No comments: