Saturday, January 17, 2009

Booger-freezin' cold

I wish I could take credit for the title of this post, but I can't. My dear soon-to-be sister-in-law,* Karen, coined the term on Facebook the other day, and I have been laughing about it ever since. Which is good, because we need something to laugh at in our home. Ava and Mommy have just started to feel human again after a week of being sick with fever, chills, and tons of congestion. By the Grace of God, Liesl escaped the sickness and Tom seems to be ok as well.

Anyway, here are some pictures of an activity we did a few weeks ago at the wonderful Nature Center in Kensington Metropark. It was a cute, hands-on presentation on "Where Animals Go in the Winter." Fitting, huh? It's these kinds of activities that keep the kids and I (relatively) sane during these ridiculously cold and dry winter months.

* Hurry up and get married already, would you guys, so I don't have to type this phrase out all the time????
Mr. Andy showing the kids a felt board of a winter scene.

Discussing bird calls in the winter.

Don't look, Grammie and Papa....

Liesl was fearless when it came to touching the snake.

My parents were surprised--and horrified--to learn that Liesl didn't have the slightest hesitation about touching the snake. But honestly...aren't some of these "fears" and phobias learned? Tom and I actually like snakes (though I admit I like to know when I'm going to encounter one--I would prefer that they not surprise me.) We hope that our girls will respect and love nature as much as we do.

Ava decided to check out Mr. Andy's turtle puppet up-close.

Discussing winter habitats of native woodland creatures


"What, Mom? Can't you see I'm trying to learn here?"

The kids also got to meet and touch a box turtle. The turtle was "wearing" an impromptu diaper (a paper towel held in place by Mr. Andy) and all of the kids thought this was hilarious. Liesl really dug the turtle. I guess it's genetic--I had 15 pet turtles when I was a child.
(Yes, 15 turtles--all at the same time. No joke!)

Moms and kids enjoying lunch and companionship after the presentation. I just love the Farmington Area Mom's Club...I have made so many neat friends through their many activities and fundraisers. (Oh, yeah...and it's good for the kids, too.)

No comments: