Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Squidgie won't be naked

My 36-week appointment with the midwife was yesterday. While she'd like me to hold onto the baby for another week to be considered full-term, I am now 100% eligible for the Birth Center and can labor and birth there when the time comes. Based on Liesl's birth and my exam yesterday, she thinks I could go into labor at any minute. So, the bag's packed and the outfits are purchased. I splurged and bought a boy's ensemble and a girl's ensemble; each complete with a matching sleeper, hat, bib, and booties. Both are now packed in my Birth Center suitcase; Grammie has the assignment of taking the unused outfit back to Carter's.

For Liesl's birth, I didn't really pay attention to the all-important going-home outfit, and packed a simple green sleeper. So when Liesl arrived quite a bit early, 3 days before Christmas, Tom made an offhand comment that she needed a Santa hat to go home in. Never say these things within my mother's hearing. She was out and about in every store you can think of to buy baby clothing, TWO DAYS before Christmas, searching for a "Baby's first Christmas" outfit and a Santa hat. I am forever grateful that she took the time and energy to do that; especially since she had been up from 6:00 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. the night before, attending Liesl's birth. Liesl's newborn portrait is very much treasured, as is the story behind the outfit.




Not to be outdone by news of Squidgie, here is a cute picture of Liesl in the bath. She LOVES water --be it a bath, a swim in Torch Lake, sticking her head in a wheelbarrow full of dirty rainwater...you name it. The child should have been born with gills.

2 comments:

Mrs Swan said...

Soooo cool! Your so close!!! I just update my blog with my appt info.

Can't wait to hear you've had the baby!

Julieann said...

Rebecca, I am so excited for you!! YAY!!!!!

Julieann