Monday, August 20, 2007

Birthing Plans in place...we're really going to do this!

On Tuesday, August 14, Tom and I attended our first HypnoBirthing class. A few weeks prior, we attended the registration of the Alternative Birth Care unit at Providence Hospital--the only birthing center in our area. The paperwork is in; we are officially registered. I have been under the care of a midwife for this pregnancy--she's been absolutely terrific. While I did receive excellent care from an obstetrician during our pregnancy with Liesl, the midwife is absolutely amazing--the differences are apparent within 3 minutes of her stepping into the exam room. And finally, in the last week, I have written a deposit check to Kristen, a certified doula who will be attending our birth. It was not until I actually handed over that check that it dawned on me that we really are doing this: We are planning an unmedicated, natural, private, gentle birth.

I have had far more than my share of naysayers, and have been trying to come up with a non-confrontational way of saying, "I don't want to hear any negative views of our plans" without sounding pious or snobbish. It's tough, though...people really, really want to be "right" and will push and push (no pun intended) that their way is the "right" way. We are practicing our HypnoBirthing breathing and "homework" almost every night, and we are surrounding ourselves with positive influence and encouragement.
I'd highly recommend (but I won't push) that anyone who is considering having a baby look into midwifery, whether they are planning an unmedicated birth or not (most midwives will attend births in both Birthing Centers and in the standard Labor and Delivery ward of many hospitals.) There are very few complications in pregnancy that a midwife is not qualified to handle (we've tested THAT theory numerous times this summer), and they really treat the pregnancy as a family event.

No comments: