Saturday, September 8, 2007

Oatmeal Buttermilk Pancakes

So many of my friends and fellow bloggers are posting pictures of their recipes, I thought I'd join the fray. Today for breakfast I finally made a recipe I've been wanting to try for months, but it required some advance planning and a semi-free weekend (those have been few and far between this summer.) Steph's is one of my favorite recipe sites for classic recipes and food. I've made many of her soups, breads, and dressings. Check it out if you have a moment: Steph's Country Kitchen Goodness


This picture has about 1/3 of the pancakes, my husband and daughter beat my camera to them. They were a real hit. The next time I make them, I'll double the recipe and freeze the leftovers; I've always had great luck with tossing frozen pancakes straight from the freezer into the toaster oven and having them come out crisp and hot. They make a great quick breakfast for Liesl and I on busy days. Up until now, I've been making the wholemeal World-Class Pancake recipe from Marleeta Basey's book Flour Power, but my husband informs me these are a bit nicer. (He doesn't know that I didn't use any white flour....I snuck in 100% home-ground, whole wheat flour, milled from hard white spring wheat. But hey, what he doesn't know won't kill him...quite the contrary, actually.)


Oatmeal Pancakes
Note: You must start the batter the night before serving.

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups buttermilk, plus a bit more
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. sugar
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
2 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
Nonstick cooking spray

1. Partially prepare the batter the night before. In a small bowl, combine the oatmeal and 2 cups of the buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. The next morning, sift together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside (do this the night before to save time in the morning).
3. In a large mixer bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Add the butter and blend, then add the oatmeal mixture. Quickly blend in the flour mixture. The batter will be very thick, so you might need to add 2 to 4 more tablespoons of buttermilk, but not more than that.
4. Coat griddle with nonstick cooking spray and heat to 350°. Drop a large spoonful of batter on hot griddle and pat down a bit. The pancakes will be about 3/4 inch thick, and will puff up when turned over. Serve with warmed maple syrup. Yield: 16 pancakes.

No comments: